I Forge Iron

Building First Forge

tiki700

Hey guys, I'm new to pretty much everything related to blacksmithing and I was wondering how I would go about building my first forge.

I have a fire pit that I was hoping to convert into a forge. I attached pictures to help give you an idea what it looks like. I think the kind of forge I would be able to make would be a fire pot forge, but I don't exactly know what to do from here.

What kind of air source should I use and how would I go about attaching it? I was planning on making the air come up from the bottom but if there is a better way let me know. Also I was hoping to use coal as a heat source, but I don't want the coal to fall down my air duct.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. (Sorry there is stuff in the fire pit I didnt think my parents would be too keen to me dumping all the ashes onto the ground)

15796.attach

15797.attach

Have a look at Lively Knives for some ideas on lining a forge. His tuyere would work in a coal forge but a bottom or side blast would be better for coal. Just have a look in the Getting Started articles off the front page for some ideas there. Do a Google search for brake drum forge for some ideas.

As for blowers, many people use hairdryers initially.

Have fun and keep safe.

Getting Started in Blacksmithing
tiki700
Welcome to I forge Iron.
As I respond to you, I realize that you must still live with your parents. Therefore they must be included with your quest to become a blacksmith.
Blacksmithing is not complicated and it is safe