I Forge Iron

Finally finished!

Well, version 2.0 of the RR anvil--I used to use the track section by itself, but came across some A36 plate and some 4140 for the face--got the 4140 annealed so I could more easily cut the pritchel and hardie holes. The heat treating only took about 3 hours in the charcoal forge (I have a "lid" for it which drastically helps) and quenched in 7 gallons of ATF, then water after the oil got a little hot. Tempered at around 375 degrees F for 3 hours, then MIG welded to top of track. So far I'm quite pleased and have been unable to dent it. Gonna check rebound once I find a sizeable ball bearing of known hardness, but the hammer bounces quite well. Doesn't really have a ring, more of like a thud, however I haven't bolted the bottom plate to the stand yet. The stand is made from 2X12 sections that are staggered to allow the storage of tools--I have yet to make some strips/brackets that wrap around the sides to prevent tools from slipping out. Height at face is approx. 29 inches and it's just right for me--very comfortable to use. One drawback is the absence of a horn--I was thinking of putting a piece of 3/4" black pipe in the 1" hole that's in the side of the track just for the time being, until I can get a hardie cone/horn thing. Another drawback is the space under the hardie hole--I used a router and routed out about 2" below the hole for retreval of "lost" items, or to jam a prybar in to wedge stuff out. I'll post more pics when I get it 100% finished. There's more pics in my gallery of this anvil and also my charcoal forge setup using the "modified" hair dryer.

15669.attach

Edited by mod07

Very ingenious design (IMO), and looks like it has good mobility with a 2 wheel dolly. I have a couple questions for you.

1. What are the dimensions of the face.

2. How the heck did you cut the Hardie hole.

3. How much does it weigh?

Very good job.

Okay, thanks for the compliment. Face dimensions are 4 1/2 inches by 10 inches and 2 1/4 inch thick. I cut the hardie using a bridgeport vertical mill--took a long time, as I had to use a 1/4" end mill for final dimensioning (just a bit over an inch square), and had to flip it over to get the full penetration. Weighs in around 70 pounds, and the base weighs almost the same--doesn't move at all when smacking stuff.

I was going to attach some wheels to the back side of it, but the hand truck idea sounds better--thanks.

"I cut the hardie using a bridgeport vertical mill--took a long time, as I had to use a 1/4" end mill for final dimensioning (just a bit over an inch square)"

What is this you speak of, where can I get oe or can I rent one.

I have a chunk of fork truck fork at work, it is about 10"long, 6 wide, and 3 thick. Your design sure gave me ideas.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone--I came up with the design of the anvil and stand after "borrowing" some elements from various blacksmiths all over the internet, after "researching" for about a year, all the while using just the track section to forge on (which was too loud for my neighbors and I had to resort to only forging about an hour or so every other day), so technically I can't take credit for it. I did, however, come up with the face piece on my own, and feel that it's a pretty good size and beefy enough for knife making and small stuff.

DennisG--forgive me as I'm chuckling quietly to myself on your question about a Bridgeport mill--This is a large machine tool that pretty much any machine shop would have (google "bridgeport vertical knee mill" for a better understanding of what it is). You can "rent" one by going to a machine shop and having a machinist do the work for you. Fortunately, my younger brother has one in his garage and doesn't mind letting me use it from time to time--especially if I buy him more end mills than I break! A manual vertical mill would run anywhere between $1K and $20K (US dollars) depending on the condition and optional equipment. And then there are the CNC models...

I think I'm going to add wheels and handles to the back of the stand in the near future so the whole thing resembles a hand truck (thanks for the idea, DennisG) to make it easier to move around--I don't really have a dedicated area in my yard (YET) for my setup, but am anticipating building a smithy in about a year or two's time--many pictures to follow.

Again, thanks for all the compliments.

• 5 months later...