I Forge Iron

Praxair ProStar Gas Outfit

kubiack

Has anyone used the ProStar Victor style gas torch outfit from Praxair? I am looking for a larger torch so I can use a larger rosebud heating tip. The ProStar equivalent of the Victory Journeyman outfit is $295 as opposed to $695. According to the salesman the ProStar setup is made for them by Victor and on the same line as the Victor equipment. The only difference between the two is the finish and the name not being Victor. Also according to the salesman replacement parts are available from Victor. This is not for professional use so a new and name brand is out of the question; it is this or wait for a used name brand setup to become available.

Other than some minor changes the two are nearly interchangeable to my eye.
I used to work for another Gas company that has long since gone out of the retail business so I can say with some confidence that Praxair torches will give you good service. The big item is the regulators. Victor is the leader there, but the off brand Torches regulators are essentially the same.

Buy it with an easy mind.

Well, I have both and the Praxair regulator diaphragms don't last as long as the Victor name brand. My Victor O2 regulator just failed after about 15 years (while in use, not when cracking a bottle) but I have replaced two Praxair diaphragms in the last 5 years - one on an O2 and one on an acetylene regulator. I can't believe the designers would use two different materials across the product lines so maybe I got a couple of lemons but you never know - the Victor brands might be thicker and made of more flexible material.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I will go with the set from Praxair. I have one of the smaller Victor setups that is about 15 years old and has given flawless service. It has been all I needed for welding and cutting however the rosebud tips available for it just does not have enough output. It is good to hear that I can expect reasonable service from the Praxair set. I try and buy the best equipment I can afford but I just can't justify the Victor.