I Forge Iron

310# Kohlswa Swedish Anvil?

Need help identifying this hunk-o-steel with no clear visible markings. The seller wants $600 for it. He says that he originally purchased it from a General Mills Supply Catalog in 1949. There may be markings on under the rust and paint but its currently 200 miles away so all I have to go on are these photos. No picture of the right hand side. The line along the footing is a distinctive trait that looks very similar to the Kohlswa shape. Its 32 inches long, 13 inches tall, 5 inch wide face, and a 1 1/4 hardy hole. Its also been welded to the base.

15537.attach

15538.attach

15539.attach

Yes it looks like a Kohlswa.

I had a smaller Kohlswa that I sold and have regretted it several times. On mine the Id on the side was vary faint and hard to read even with nothing on it. If I had the cash and way to move it I'd buy it if other wise rings sound.
Charlotte

• 2 weeks later...

This could also be a Brooks anvil. They can be very good, but they can also be stinkers. I have a Brooks dated 1952, and it is a mess of cracks all throught the top, whether from casting flaws, faulty material or faulty heat treatment, I don't know. I believe, however, that cast anvils were quite novel at this period (just after the war), and the technology might not have been quite up to par.
I'm not sure how common Brooks anvils are in the US, but the shape is right.

Shipping wasn't his problem. He just needed to have an Idea of what it was.
Since he lives near one of the former officers of Mississippi forge council I sent him a pm with contact info. It was welded to the base. The officer has been dealing anvils for a while and so could give him a first hand acessment.

All of the Brooks I've seen were quite a bit thicker and shorter in the heel.

You are probably right about it being Kohlswa/Soderfors, but my brooks is a lot thinner in the heel (and in the foot) than later castings.