I Forge Iron

Is casting superior to welding?

Hello,

I have been doing a bit of brazing on my own, it seems it is difficult and such. I am wondering if over all, it would be superior to cast aluminum rather than purchase it in sheets, cut and weld them together. Most of what I have learned says a very loud yes. But perhaps the pros and cons could be weighed differently by someone with experience in these ideas.
I know that right now I am paying some where between 2.50 to 5 dollars a pound for aluminum (most of what I have purchased are drop pieces), but I bet I could get it far cheaper or even free from other sources like recycling places and such. I found some where on this website some design for a really great kiln of some sort, I think it was for using old motor oil. I have gallons of old motor oil and plenty of propane as well. I lack the kiln and the knowledge on making a cast or mold. I can't imagine the method of making a box of some sort using the casting method but I am sure it's been done a ton of times already.

Thanks!

That's helpful.

Yeah, sorry I was tired.
Casting is a huge subject and there is not a simple answer to your question, considering the amount of detail you provided. Actualy, the simple answer is that fabricating is most likely the better way to go. Casting is expensive, difficult, dangerous and has a huge learning curve. For true mass production casting has a place. There are many books avaiable, and there is a Yahoo group, hobbycasters.

Fabricating is the cheapest simplest way to build most things. Casting is good if you want a lot of the exact same thing. but to build a casting mold, work out all the bugs in your design and to build the provisions to actually be able to cast your metal is both labourous and expensive compared to the relativly cheap tools needed to cut form and weld aluminum (or steel) by hand.

what do you want to make ???:confused::confused:

The things I have made so far are prototypes of ideas I have thought up. Of course, I cannot go into detail about these prototypes but I can be some what vauge. A few of the prototypes involve things that would fit well in the computer industry. Others would fit into the automotive industry. Most of these are made of common aluminum alloys or even 2xxx aluminum allows.

Fabricating is the cheapest simplest way to build most things. Casting is good if you want a lot of the exact same thing. but to build a casting mold, work out all the bugs in your design and to build the provisions to actually be able to cast your metal is both labourous and expensive compared to the relativly cheap tools needed to cut form and weld aluminum (or steel) by hand.

I believe I agree with your statement concerning the cost being more affordable via fabrication (if I understand what fabrication is correctly). My goal is to do larger scale production though so I assume that the cost of making 50 units of product a would be cheaper via casting versus fabrication, though I don't really know for sure. I imagine that if I got a good shear and a decent knowledge of bending and a quality mig I might be able to keep up.
I always assume that the quality of casting versus fabrication will always find that casting is better in terms of speed, cost, efficiency and quality. Perhaps you suggest I get a decent mig device? I saw a few videos of some miller migs. One I found was around 630 dollars. It was pretty nice, I guess.

No process is "better" than another. They all have a place. Casting is the best way to make an engine block. Forging is the best way to make a chisel. Fabricating is the best way to build a table or cabinet. Machining is the best way to make a true shaft.

Quality of casting versus fabrication depends on what qualities you need. If you're building a box, fabricating will be better in terms of "speed, cost, efficiency and quality" even in quantity.

All of the above have different mechanical properties too.

Edited by nakedanvil