I Forge Iron

LP gas pressure?

thelucas

I have had for a long time my uncles gas forge from his knife shop. He passed on and since i was forging with coal my aunt gave it to me. When I went to get it her son inlaw though a fit, sorry long story short I didn't grab the regulator of the wall and didn't see what pressure it was set to.

forge set up is
blower to burner to forge lined 30g drum tunnel design

he was forging patterned steel in it so I know it i able to get hot enough.

thanks
stephen

You will need that regulator or one like it. Without knowing what size burner you have, however it will be difficult to determine pressure requirements. That being said, a 0-30 psi is pretty standard and actual running pressure usually runs anywhere from 3-25 psi depending on you particular application and efficiency. My first forge welded wide open (25 psi or higher) my new forge runs good and hot at 5 psi with the same regulator. YMMV :)

Without knowing what kind of regualtor he was using you can only light it and try it at various pressures. I have a standard high pressure that I used with some early designs that would deliver 75 psig. If the color was red then it was probably 0-30 psig standard lp home regulator.

i do remember it being one of the large style home regulator color not so sure about and the land he had his shop on has been sold since. so going to look may not be a option. i will post pic of the forge and try to post pics of the burner as well. thank you guys for the info. i will start with a reg set at low pressure and work up from there. :)