I Forge Iron

Birthday Money

Well, looking at another year for the books and the little wife is insisting on giving me some "birthday money" to spend on "tools". She said that I have to spend it, no exceptions.
I asked her how much so I could start thinking.
She said that since my birthday and Father's day are so close together that she is going to give me $300.00.

Ok, here's the problem...
If I NEED something, I go get it or make what I can. I never just go buy something. I got to thinking about toys to help me out with getting my shop set up. I have a transport truck forge that is almost ready to roll and I have a make-shift anvil, beyond that, I'm still in the dark.

What would you buy if you were starting up???

Thanks for all ideas......
SW

First and foremost...they are TOOLS!! not toys. TOOLS you NEED, toys you want but don't really need as bad...understand?!? Man, you can get us all into trouble with the wrong termanology.;) Give what you already have; leg vise, tongs, hammers, maybe an anvil. Good luck! My wife gave me $$ for our 35th annyversarary and told me NO BLACKSMITHING TOOLS!! First time she has ever said that....I'm a very blessed guy, I know.

Edited by Thomas Dean

SW;

First things I'd buy would be a dozen roses and a box of Godiva chocolate for a lady like that. Later you can decide what tools to spend the rest of it on.:)

Actually, I just did that.... Our anniversary was June 1st

First and foremost...they are TOOLS!! not toys. TOOLS you NEED, toys you want but don't really need as bad...understand?!? Man, you can get us all into trouble with the wrong termanology.;)

I am so sorry and stand corrected.....
What kind of TOOLS....etc.....

I am looking for a leg vise but haven't found one yet.

Ours was on the 1st also.
I would think finding the tools you want would be best at a blacksmith meeting. If there are no tailgater then ask the members where you can find whatever. Check ABANA for a group near you. Next would be looking on craigslist I have found several nice items on there and usually at decent prices. eBay is WAY out of line for my area on blacksmithing related tools, IMHO. plus you have to pay for shipping which can be as much or more than what you paid for the item itself. BTW, congrats on your anny. how long?

... She said that I have to spend it, no exceptions. .....she is going to give me $300.00...... I have a make-shift anvil, beyond that, I'm still in the dark. What would you buy if you were starting up???
SW

I would suggest buying an anvil as your number one priority, as the biggest step in improving your equipment. Much better than make-shift in my humble opinion. :D