I Forge Iron

How I did it

I got a call from the Chevy-Dodge dealer a little after 1 Pm today asking for help in getting a bolt out of one of thier car lifts.

When I got there the lift mechanic showed me a 3/4 by 2 inch allen head bolt head about 2 inches down in a 1 3/8 diameter hole with the flats rounded off. He didn't suggest any way to get it out luckily or I would have been there much longer.

I used an 8 inch piece of sucker rod with the end on it, and using my rosebud for a heat source, heated the 3/4 round end up and proceeded to forge the end to a hex using the top of the lift as an anvil. After several heats it was just a little bit smaller than the hex in the Cap Screw. One more heat and I put the hot end into the top of the Cap screw and proceded to upset it tight in the recess. Just let it cool normally to stretch the bolt a little, and after about 10 minutes I got my 36 inch pipe wrench out and adjusted it to fit the square on the sucker rod. 2 people on the wrench while I was pounding on the top had no result, so out came the cheater pipe. 3 people on the cheater pipe and me pounding on the top of the sucker rod to jar it some and it finally started to turn. 2 people on the cheater pipe walked around and around and it came out hard to the last thread.

Lift mechanic told me had never seen one that tight and the way he usually does it would not have worked. After wrapping everything up and getting ready to leave he asked if he could have the short piece of sucker rod. So now he has another tool to add to his tool kit.

I even found 2 replacement hex head Cap screws in my bolt bin, as no one in town had any.

Jr, is the usual method the lift mechanic uses involve welding a rod, bolt or nut to the broken or froze bolt and trying to turn the "new" head? I have seen this method used at work with LIMITED success.;) The "new" head is difficult to get welded good enough and often breaks off. Your method surley sound more positive. Neat idea!! Thanks!