I Forge Iron

craftsman welder accecories

One way you can start TIG welding is to buy a junction block, an air cooled TIG torch with a built in gas valve, an inert gas regulator(or a flowmeter), a tank of Argon and a hose to connect the flowmeter to the junction block. This will enable you to scratch start TIG, with heat preset, all metals except aluminum, using DC negative. If you want to weld aluminum, and have the advantage of a foot petal, a HIGH FREQ adapter with a foot petal is an add on as well. You will still need the first stuff I mentioned.

It would certainly be cheaper to get a good deal on a used machine. I personaly am not a big fan of cheap TIG welders such as Millers Econotig, but only because I weld a lot of thick aluminum, and bronze. For most everything else(except copper and copper alloys, they are fine.
Inverters are a different deal though. See what is on sale. A 185 or 200 amp inverter will out weld a 250 amp Synchrowave, use less electricity (by far), cost less, take up less room, and weigh 1/10th as much.