I Forge Iron

Gut hooks?

Ecart

Hi all. I searched for this, but couldn't find it anywhere. I have made a couple of skinners now - one is finished and in a consignment store, the other is ready for final sharpening and polishing. I'd post pics, but my computer isn't getting along with picasa at the moment.

Anyway, I asked several hunters what they would add to the knives to make them better. The majority of them suggested a gut hook. I know what a gut hook is, but I'm not too certain as to how to make one. I suppose I could practice on some mild steel until I get it right - probably the smart thing to do. But I thought I'd ask here and see what some of you do to make a gut hook.

Most of them look to be a grind in after forging affair to me. I would just get on and try with tool steels rather than using mild, If it doesnt work quite aswell as you intended you still have a useable knife with somthing resembling a gut hook on it!

Personally Ive never liked the look of them on a knife, somehow they seem to compromise the simplicity of a blade. Might just be me though!

Thanks John. Actually I agree with you. I don't really care for the gut hook either . . . But if it'll sell to those few who won't buy a knife otherwise, I have a choice: Let them get their knives elsewhere or accomodate them. Sigh, so I'll start working on one soon.

The problem that I have is that I have never been a hunter. So I've never been around those who were dressing a deer. If all goes well, that will change this fall though.

Dodge, that's a pretty helpful tutorial. I'll certainly refer to it as I get started. I'm giving serious consideration to doing some filework on my next knife.
Now it's off to try to resolve some issues between the computer and Picasa.

I use a gut hook knife. I have been hunting for the past 30+ years. I find a hook very handy for hogs and deer. Yea a good sharp knife and a bit of caution any blade will get the job done. However a gut hook does speed things up.

I use a gut hook knife. I have been hunting for the past 30+ years. I find a hook very handy for hogs and deer. Yea a good sharp knife and a bit of caution any blade will get the job done. However a gut hook does speed things up.

Thanks for the positive input for a gut hook. We were becoming a bit one-sided here. :D

What I can gather is this: It is best to make some knives with the gut hook, and some without. Then everyone is happy.