I Forge Iron

Hi Folks

I've been grinding and heat treating knives for about six years. Keep saying I'll get a forge some day.

About three weeks ago I went to another Hammer In down in New Bedford, MA and much to my surprise won a 6" propane forge. Also got a long line of friends telling me that I was in deep, deep trouble if I didn't use it...

Last weekend I went over to my local used anvil dealer and got a 197 pound Peter Wright.

Still getting the pieces of a shop together. Plan to make an anvil stand out of 2x12's using a design from anvilfire that seems interesting. Given the way my small lot, surrounded by oak and maple trees slopes, I'll have to set up inside my current shop. Safety, especially CO is a big concern of mine.

I've been lucky enough to know a number of very good bladesmiths and have had some casual instruction from them, but it's going to take a lot of work and practice to get any good at this. While I'm interested in general blacksmithing as well, most of my all too limited free time will probably go into bladesmithing.

Dan Pierson

Welcome aboard Dan, glad to have you.

You might want to check out the Blueprints section for anvil stands. A search of IFI threads for anvil stands will bring up a LOT of really good ideas as well.

Frosty