I Forge Iron

Sword Hilts

juggernaught_666

• 1 month later...

Hi Juggernaught,

I make real Gladius recreations so maybe I can help a little- first the bone, boil it- that gets any tissue or fat out and then dry it thoroughly (oven works, but it's not the best smell). You do have to fill the marrow space or it'll rotate around the tang- nobody knows what was used originally, but epoxy putty works wonderfully. You just have to put some at each end.

Hilt Materials- real Gladii used bone, ivory and hardwoods. Aluminum was quite unknown, so that's not the best choice. Obviously ivory is out and bone is actually tricky, so I'd suggest hardwoods for the guard and pommel. Shape and burn onto the tang (drill holes nearly the right size, heat the tang and just push the wood on- the tang will burn the hole to the correct size and shape).

There's no such things as balance for ancient swords- only when weighted pommels and fullered blades came along was there balance, and that was many centuries later. So that shouldn't be a worry.

Maintenance- if the blades are not stainless steel, then oil is really all you need- I live on the Pacific coast where it's incredibly wet and I don't have any rust problems with my low carbon steel blades, so I can't imagine you'd need anything particularly special. Just don't wrap them in anything that'll keep in moisture and most importantly look at them from time to time to watch for any corrosion starting and always address it right away.

Juggernaught,

Welcome to IFI.

Have you looked at the youTube film in this thread? It sure puts a lot of words into a few pictures when it comes to fitting a wooden handle to a tanged blade.

How about going into your control panel and set up your location. Maybe there is someone not too far away who can help.

Cheers