I Forge Iron

Looking for an Anvil

Hello! I'm new to the forums, but i've been here quite a few times researching.

I've been getting into historical armor and metal working has always been a hobby of mine since the 7th grade where we made a steel shovel ourselves. I've made several metal sculptures and tools myself using my school's workshop (which has an anvil) aswell as a chainmaille shirt! But i would like to finally have my own anvil.

Anyway!

I'm looking to buy a beginners anvil and was hoping for some good advice.

I'm looking to put no more than 200-250 dollars into a decent anvil right now, and i've looked all over here and in shops and scrap yards and even on the internet! But nothing works. I found some great website, which seem to have products, but no information on how to order them and prices...

I'm looking for a South German style anvil, and if you haven't noticed, i live in germany. =]

Thanks!

Guten Tag Musika,

I'm also was looking for a good anvil. The thing where you should search for is for the begining the shape, as i understand you are looking for anvil with a round and square horn? these shouldn't be to hard to find in the weight of
50 kg.

The things you should look for is:
1. Is it a cast iron with steel face or steel anvil? you shouldn't look out for only cast iron anvils as these get dits of the smallest blow if you hammer
2. Does it have much damage?
3. The weight.
4. are the edges in shape?
5. If there is too much rust, some real old anvils have rusted to 1 solid piece of rust. ( really the whole piece)
6. And does it have nice ring, when it does you can almost be certain that it's good
7. How much does the owner want for it?,very importent!

It's actually too bad you don't live in The Netherlands near me because i bought my 2 anvils of 50 and 100 kg from a real nice guy that only charges 3 euros per kilogram. And has many anvils, also Amercian anvils of steel and cast iron with steel face.

hope this will help you along,

Joe

Edited by TechnicusJoe

Servus!

Thanks! I'm so glad to have gotten a response from someone who know what they are doing.

Responses to:
1. I'm actually looking for a forged steel anvil if thats possible, i'll settle for a steel face though.
2. I'm looking buy a new anvil if it's possible, but used is cool.
3. 40-60Kg should be fine to begin with.
4. If its new i'd hope so! Otherwise i'll have to inspect it if it's used.
5. I hope no! If so, i'll use WD40 to polish it back to a shine if need be.
6. Well i've not yet used an anvil, so i'll have to train my ear to understand what you meen. =]
7. Like i said, i'm looking to pay 200-250 dollars, but if it's just a little more, i'll porbably let myself go.

Cool! Bt i'm not to far from you. If i can't find a good anvil here i might have to ask where your nice guy lives so i can call or visit him. ;)

Wow, 3 euros per KG is not bad, i'd pay for a 50Kg gladly!

Thanks for all the help!

Musika

Edited by Musika