I Forge Iron

Need some advice on a grinder...

Hey Y'all,

I am considering getting a new grinder for the shop and wanted some advice and some other opinions on what to look for. First off, let me preface this by saying that I am a blacksmith and a traditional one at that. I do almost NO machining in my shop. I am quite ignarant when it comes to machine tools. I barely operate my welder as is and if I need to grind or de-burr something right now, I usually use my trusty little old wheel bench grinder. Most of my teachers were adamant about the notion "don't grind it - FORGE IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME". I had one teacher that called the grinder "the crutch" because it helped cover up a badly forged piece and make you look like a better smith than you were...oh well, I digress - my point is, that I'd like a belt grinder so I can remove material faster if need be and do some flat grinding on some projects that I have in the works.

I am considering a belt grinder most likely of the 2" variety. I dont have LOADS of moo-la to blow, but know that a good motor is going to be expensive. any suggestions? Makers, features, stuff to watch out for, etc.

Any advice is appreciated.

I just picked up a Grizzly 2x72 from Craigslist. For what I paid, I think it will serve me well for some time. I've done a lot of personal research before I ever got one, and here's kinda what it looks like to me (I'm always open to correction, of course):

Cheap: Delta, Craftsman, etc. bench sanders... either 1" belts or the 4x36" machines. Usually about 1/3 hp.
Any of these are limited, but can be had for under $100.

Mid-range: Grizzly 2x72 knife grinder. 1hp motor is integral; no extra to buy.
There may be other similar products by other makers, but I have not looked into them.

Top end: Coote, Bader, KMG. Again, these are the ones I have studied; I'm sure there are others (Burr King comes to mind, as well). Coote is the most affordable and they look really good, but it is less versitile than the Bader or especially the KMG (KMG's are awesome, IMO). For the Bader and the KMG, you're going to be in the $1000+ range if you have to buy a motor.

Bear in mind, the work you will be doing will ultimately define what equipment you need. If you are just going to use it to knock burrs off, I wouldn't spend a grand or two on a professional knife grinder.

Don

I had access to a Grizzly in a friends shop. I liked the belt grinder over the hand grinder and decided that I needed one. After looking at the belt grinders and their prices, I decided to go with the Grizzly. So far, I am not disappointed.... Jerry
P.S. I do not use it to make knives.

They're not too tough to build. Are you considering that also? I just finished one a couple of months ago now. I'm in it just about a grand, but I didn't scrounge, and I didn't compromise on anything. It's got a Baldor 2hp 3phase c-face motor running through a variable frequency drive. I did spend a few hours massaging stuff into alignment once I had it all together, but now it's an incredible machine. 5 seconds to change belts and adjust tracking. Variable speed from 0 to 5500 sfpm with the twist of a knob. Solid and powerful. Anyway, the closest commercially available machine would've been at least three times what I paid. I paid $365 for my motor and $290 for my VFD, so if you went with a single phase motor that you had scrounged you could still put together the same machine I did for $350'ish. Motor would have to have a shaft that fits the bore of the drive wheel, and you wouldn't have variable speed. But variable speed could always be added on later with either a speed controller or a jackshaft. Good luck.

Edited by mcraigl

heres a trick for a good motor on the cheap i'm bulid my grinder with one and when done i will post picks go find a free tread mill with a dc motor take motor and controler and wiring most of the motors are at least 2 hp and are varible speed i have one on my 10inch logan lathe my buddy has on on a micron lathe that is used in a low production shop and has had no big problems runing the motor
if anyone here wants to try this check craigs list there are lots of treadmills for free out there or put an ad there

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...