I Forge Iron

Metal selection.

Ross_FL

I am looking for good sources to read about metal selections used for blades.

I'm mainly interested in bladesmithing, so that's all I am going to focus on and I eventually want to get into the finer methods, but that's down the road. Right now I need to learn about specific single types of steel and their characteristics.

I've searched the forum and have not found any threads, and I don't expect anyone here to go in depth into this question, but if you do that would be great!!

On Monday I will be making the trip to Alro Metals in Winter Springs Florida. They have many different varieties of stainless and carbon steels, and many other metals. I believe they even supply titanium.

thanks in advance!!

Edited by steve sells
bad link removed

Update: I have found an ebook dealing with exactly what I am looking for, titled Metallurgy of Steel for Bladesmiths. It reads like a theoretical physics book, but I am not having too hard a time and it seems well written.

It looks like my local metal supply has 440c SS, as well as many other SS and carbons, but from what I have read, treating 440C is a very difficult thing to do.

Anything wrong with picking up a few bars of 440c?