I Forge Iron

new to pattern welding

lx450landcruiser

if you have a saw mill in your area that does resawing with a band saw they are usualy 15n20 I have acess to a blade like that. It is 6 inches wide and 24 ft long so one of these lasts a long time i cut it to size with airon worker. I think you will find that buying
d2 steel from a mill is cost prohibitive actualy if you use the 15n20 with the 1095 and 1084 you will not have a real problem with rust if you keep a little oil on blade wnen not in use. also if you are new to knife making never store you iknife in a leather case as tanning fluids are very corrisive leroyk

• 2 weeks later...

well Im still undecided on what to try, After i keep seeing the pics of the 420mv and the 304 i really want to try it. I cant for the life of me find the MV but i can find the 420. fromwhat i understand the MV is primarily for hardness. So will the 304 and 420 give me the contrast i want? this is a photo of what im looking for

heres the make up of both metals

13299.attach

13300.attach

13301.attach

Edited by lx450landcruiser

• 3 weeks later...

Well I thought i would update. I searched every where and wasnt able to get 420. So i went ahead and did stainless 304 and 1095. the contrast is pretty good and and im happy with the way it looks. Im still messing with the etching though. I was also getting tired hammering so i made a small press with a air powered 20 ton jack. I have a couple dies made for it now and its nice to have that extra control. I was attempting to make a large billet to save time but ive come to the realization that my press is not powerful enough and my forge isnt hot enough. I made a door for the forge and that helped but i deff found my limitations. The large billet turned out but i wasnt able to get it thin enough to use as a knife billet so in to the project box it went. Heres some pics.

any tips are welcome :)

13958.attach

13959.attach

13960.attach

Edited by lx450landcruiser

for contrast i would go a nickle allow like 15n20 or L6 and a med carbon steel like 1095 ... that usually gives a good contrast and isnt too difficult to get it to weld... or you can go nickle 200 and 1095 and have a the greatest contrast (with the right etch) but much harder to weld up billet .. i know some people weld up stainless for a damascus billet but ive heard its tough to get it to weld and touchy in heat treat also 420 stainless if i remember corect is what they make hemostats and other surgical insturments out of ... it isnt a very hard type of stainless like say 440c .if contrast is main criteria ide go a nickle alloy and injoy .. .good luck!

Edited by dablacksmith
didnt read the hole post