I Forge Iron

anchor forging

over the last week we forged a 5 cwt fisherman anchor ,with bow shackle and pin riveted up, and about 1 fathom of 1 ins studded chain,in three days .The gang last year were more suited to fine work and working on there own, so had difculties with the heavy forging ,and took a while to make a team but got there and made a job (slowly).
This year the gang i made up of industrial smiths,Iain Baxter,a quarry blacksmith,David Goldthorpe, a brewery blacksmith, Michall gjerdy ,a blacksmiths striker.Mark Constable,the only art smith,and myself
this year the anchor was bigger the shackle alone needed 14 ins of 3 ins sq, and we jumped the shank up to 6 ins over a longer length, in short a lot more work went into it ,and it was a delight for us to get on with the job,the hammer work was realy moving iron,and we worked as one,we all had a good time ,
I will try to get some pic ,i was working so i only took the group shot but there was plenty of vidios going and the net work film crew turned up so there must be plenty of pic ,the problem is getting them on the site

• 3 years later...