I Forge Iron

My New Propane Forge

Brian D

Any up close picss or the burner assembly. I am interested in a propane forge, but dont know how to go about making the burner.

Hello there x45!

I could get you some close up pics of the burners, but it will most likely not do you much good. (The important parts of the burners are not visible) The nozzle tubes and the burner flares are a pretty important parts of the burners.

.....a good place to start is the IFI search engine. There have been lots of posts about building burners, tuning burners, buying burners, etc. There are plans in the Blue Prints section as well.

A few things you'll need to know to do a good job of building a burner is know what volume and shape your forge needs to be. Refractory is also important and there are many different types for different uses.

Frosty

I suggest looking around on the net and this site. Figure out which style/s you would like to attempt. If you have not attempted this type of project before, get ready for quite the science project. I am pretty handy and familiar with fluid flow dynamics and properties, and it was still a bit frustrating learning how to tune and make the burners "behave".

You may want to look at purchasing your burners as a kit or assembled and ready to use out of the box items. There are some websites on the internet with information for burners and the pricing is not too bad considering what you could go through making your own from scratch.

Do an internet search on Ron Reil and burner design, Zoeller forge (he sells parts and burners), and Rex Price (i think it is called hybrid burners) he sells his burners on the internet and I think they are made from machined components.