I Forge Iron

Petroleum Coke?

Has anyone (other than myself) tried petroleum coke (petcoke) in a forge? When I tried it, it seemed to burn, sort of, but the blast blew it around like it was popcorn. Wouldn't stick together as it was light and porous and looking like lava rock and smaller than popcorn. and, of course, Black as the ace of spades, It is an end product of oil refining and is mostly carbon. In some areas where there are oil refineries it is abundant. Probably could get it for little or nothing. I have been told that in Western Canada there is a mountain of it.
Can this stuff be successfully burnt in a coal forge?
Warren

Petcoke is abundant here in Virginia, I was asked to do a feasability study on it's use as an enhancer for papermills useing "wet" wood as a fuel source. The problem was it's lack of density (hence the blowing around) hindered our ability to crush it to a useable product. You will always be faced with the problem of the volume required to become a viable fuel, it's a bloody shame really, because they will load it for you to haul off, it is a storage nightmare. The EXON refinery at yorktown has more of it's realestate under petcoke, than is occupied by the plant. I don't know about the carbon smuts either, all the furnaces we used it in had scrubbers in the flue, and as you probably have already found out it is some filthy stuff to handle.
Paul.