I Forge Iron

New guy from IL

Canska

I've been lurking for a while, reading up on the thousands of interesting posts here. Finally getting around to introducing myself (since the forum keeps nagging me to!)

Lets see... many men in my family were iron workers, welders, and mechanics, so I've always had an interest in all things related. Back in 1992, I cobbled a small forge together using a cast iron hibachi, a shop vac, and a few bags of smithing coal. That worked ok, and I was hooked, and started collecting equipment. In 1993, I built my first small propane forge with a large coffee can and castable refractory. Around 1994, I got a section of elevator down pipe and built my current gas forge. Finally in 1999 I bought a very rural property with a 40'x60' machine shed and set up a decent shop.

I've gotten pretty good at a few things, I've made some decorative stuff, a lot of hardware for things around 'the farm', a trebuchet (like a catapult), some knives, and most of my smithing tools.

Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of pictures yet, but there are a few on my site, here and here.

Nowadays, I'm looking to build a serious coal forge and maybe get a power hammer. I've already learned a lot reading IFI posts here, and look forward to learning a lot more.