I Forge Iron

Howdy!

Howard Dean

Howdy everybody!
I just want to introduce myself as the newest member of this elite and non-glamourous group of blacksmiths. Of course, we're not glamorous except what we can produce off the anvil. I have been tinkering with blacksmithing for a few years now, though I consider myself an amateur. I am a welding and drafting instructor at a high school in west Tennessee. I have taken some blacksmithing classes at the National Ornamental Metal Museum for a professional development course so that I can teach my welding students the art of forging. Do you know it can be costly when all you have to heat your metal is an oxyacetylene rose-bud torch? Try it some time. I would love to set up a coal forge here at the school, but I wouldn't use it except for personal use. Ha! When I take my students to the NOMM in Memphis for a field trip it is usually the highlight of all field trips. The blacksmiths at the smithy's do a great job of demonstrating the art of metal work. These kids talk about it for months.
Changing subject...I took the opportunity to come to Texas, God's country, to visit with my younger brother who is a great blacksmith himself. He told me that he took a week-long classes at the Ozark School of Blacksmithing. The way he talks about the school I will try to make arrangements of getting into those classes myself. He has collected a slew of blacksmith tools and has such a great shop to do his work. He demonstrated several items that were very fascinating and he also taught me several tricks of making a leaf... he sure has some patience with me on that project. When I can get myself to build a shop I will want to be able to sharpen my skills to do demonstrations at art and craft shows and county fairs. There is nothing like taking a raw metal and forge it into a work of art that boggles the mind of the general public. You guys know what I mean? Exciting! The looks on those faces of young people are refreshing to see after they have viewed your work.
Sorry I made this too long. I am not a novelist but I only try to put into words the excitement that this trade can do to you.
Keep on heating and pounding,
Howard