I Forge Iron

Will what I bought for cement be sufficient?

I got my furnace in today and noticed That the fiber blanket they chose was actually not rated for the 2700F they claimed it can reach, not to mention they didnt include any coating to go over the fiber. so I did some looking around and decided to go with ITC100 HT Ceramic Refractory Coating. It is rated for 5,000F. The reviews seemed good and it was affordable... will this be sufficient for the coating over the ceramic fiber blanket? ill be melting most metals, just not steel. I know temperature wise its fine, but my main concern is life span and safety. 

I'm no expert but do some casting.  ITC is just that, a refractory coating, so you need to apply some refractory to the blanket first.  If the shell is large enough, you want 2" of blanket, then refractory, then ITC. 

Yeah the furnace I bought came with the blanket already installed in the container. I'll try to remember it needing to be 2" for when I replace the blanket. thank you for the tip.  

based off your experience with the stuff, how long does the refractory coating usually last?

Alot comes into play, like making sure you let the refractory cure properly and then the same with ITC.  Firing it up slowly a few times etc.  There's a section in the forums on it. Do those steps it'll last a LONG time.  My setup is 3 years old and still fine. 

4 hours ago, M3F said:

Alot comes into play, like making sure you let the refractory cure properly and then the same with ITC.  Firing it up slowly a few times etc.  There's a section in the forums on it. Do those steps it'll last a LONG time.  My setup is 3 years old and still fine. 

oh wow, 3 years! that it is a lot better than I would initially guessed.  I Will definitely check that section of the forum out.