I Forge Iron

Re-shim a Clay Spencer tire Hammer

My tire hammer locked up today when one of the bottom retaining clips broke off. It really locked everything up. I had to carefully cut the the opposite side clip off to free things up. I've had trouble with the shims for quite awhile. The shims often slip by the retaining clips. My question is, when I put it back together, how much play is allowed for the hammer's head in the guide weldment? Thanks.

I am not an expert but did build one and have used it quite a bit. I have never had to adjust my shims so I checked the manual. You should have the same number of shims on each side of the ram if possible. Install as many shims as you can and still raise the ram in the guide. Typically there are two shims on one side of the ram and three on the other for each axis.

If you have binding of the shims and they are slipping out, perhaps they are too tight or not kept oiled well enough. Maybe there is debris on the ram that is causing friction. You might want to double check the geometry of your clips if the shims are slipping past them.

If you find the magic fix, please post back so we all can learn.