I Forge Iron

Ok... a Real Self Introduction

Bob La londe

First off, Glen, Thanks for the assist.  

Frosty I didn't get your message.  Just the email notification.

I'm not a black smith and I don't plan for it to be a primary part of my business or hobby life.  I do some crude metal beating mostly using a rosebud on the OA torch as needed, because sometimes its the fastest easiest way to get a step closer to the part or tool I am making.  Blacksmithing or more accurately heat and beating is just one of many tools in the old arsenal.  Yes I have an anvil (cast iron although it was sold as forged steel - long story).  Yes I have a two burner propane forge.  Both get shuffled into a corner or set on a shelf most of the time until they are needed.  

The main reason I have gotten more interested is because my son (mid 20s) has developed a passing interest and there aren't that many things we do together any more.  He's a gamer, 3D printer, miniature painter, college student, and courtesy clerk at a store.  I'm mostly a CNC machinist and sport angler.  Most of the time when we do things its because I told him I need a hand with something, and helping the ol' man is what you do when he asks.  Just like helping the kid is what you do when he asks.  

I was rather surprised when he showed enough of an interest to build a glue, pin, and steel strap stump out of old dry 2x12s for our little 70lb cast iron anvil.  Ok. I helped.  A little.  We haven't done a whole lot of actual heating and beating, but we have made the obligatory leaf, a few failed tongs, a couple successful tongs, and just beat on some metal to see what it does with different hammer techniques.    Pretty much using one of my 3lb engineers hammers.  He says its to heavy for him to work for very long and he wants a power hammer.  Not happening real soon, but I did pick up a large piece of scrapped commercial TVRO dish mount that looks like it will make 90% of the fixed steel for one.   At $20 bucks I couldn't pass it up for the steel even if it doesn't work out.  I did pick up a few Christmas presents that might be useful though.  

Mostly I am a CNC machinist (I make low pressure injection molds and low temp casting molds mostly, but other things wander into the shop from time to time), and previously spent 23 years as a license communication contractor.  Over the years I've accumulated other tools as I can afford them  Several welders, a nice Tinsmith brake, a couple lathes, at least a dozen ways to cut metal, and of course a few CNC mills.  

Some picture for their entertainment value.  I have since ground the horn round on that little metal beating platform.  

Bob La Londe
Fledgling Metal Beater
Yuma, Az

Hunk of Marble to be Carved into a David.jpg

Making a Stump.jpg

Using a Stump.jpg

I do have some ideas for making press dies to make some tools faster and easier. 

When the only tool you have is a hammer...
When your favorite tool is a CNC mill...