I Forge Iron

New forge I need help

I'm thinking about making a new forge with my Dad, Brother and I I'm also thinking about using a ribbon burner because I heard it was more efficient and less loud than an atmospheric/venturi burner the forge that I've been using has an inch of kaowool and itc100 only nearly 1/16th inch of it so if it's even bumped into it will crack the forge is also loud and not very fuel-efficient (after my forge passes it's one year anniversary no reason I just want to get my monies worth)i will make my new forge with about 1 or 2 inches of kaowool or super wool and about 3/4 or 1/2 an inch of KastolightI have replaced the kaowool on my forge but I've never made a forge with castable refractory, and I've never used a ribbon burner so since most of you have more experience I would like to hear your suggestions.

Nathan, if you read around here for a bit you'll find that one of irondragon's jobs on the forum is to welcome new members this way.  They are not trying to annoy you, they are trying lay the groundwork for getting new members to integrate as well as possible. 

I'd suggest start with reading Frosty's ribbon burner thread and then ask questions based on what you learn there. 

Thanks deepwater, it's not really my job but you are right about trying to lay the ground work for the forum as it has some idiosyncrasies most folks don't know about and reading that thread will help in staying under the moderators radar. :)

Nathan the thread I will link is about as good as it gets for building a propane forge from scratch.

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Thanks deepwater, it's not really my job..... 

My apologies.  My phone seems to show a pretty simple version of the site and there are no indications like member v moderator, post counts, etc that I see on other forums.  No biggie, I just assumed you were an official mod.... Guessing you're more volunteer but I appreciate the effort you put in here.