I Forge Iron

Left handed straight stock knife, need help!!

Marc Kunkel

The issue I think you are going to run into is that the clogger's stock knife is a very specialized tool that doesn't seem to be all that common over here in the states.  I expect there are some critical subtleties regarding balance, hardness, springiness, weight, blade curvature, edge bevel, and proportion that work together to make a more or less successful copy.  You might get it right on first try, but I would doubt it.  On first view it should be able to be produced by anyone who makes swords, or perhaps pole arm weapons with long tangs, but if you go to someone who has never made one you will need to pay for them to climb the learning curve for a new form. 

As a custom order I can't imagine it costing less than twice what you could get one for from a smith who makes them regularly (like the pictured one you linked from the Stark Raven folks).  Of course If I needed one myself I'd try to knock one up from an old leaf spring using the dimensions from their site and making a stab at the various geometries from source photos and drawings:

• From Stark Raven: "The blade of the light stock knife is about 5/16" thick at the spine and 1-3/4" wide. The shaft to which the maple handle is mounted is of 1/2" x 1" cross section, tapering to 1/2" square where it meets the hardwood handle; the overall length of this knife is 33", with about a 16" cutting edge."
  • Also this blog which has a bunch of nice photos and a description of forging one: http://thenewhearth.blogspot.com/2014/01/stock-knife.html