I Forge Iron

Hello from southern Quebec

Hemmrookie

I live in Hemmingford, Quebec which is a small town bordering northeastern New York state.

I have been interested in blacksmithing for several years and purchased my anvil and farrier’s vise at farm auction. Now that I am retired I’ve gotten caught up in the Forged in Fire craze and think I will enjoy blacksmithing. Of course I won’t be making knives but rather tools and simple things to practice the craft. 

I live on a farm so the hammering of steel will not be bothering any neighbours .

I found a good source for refractory bricks in Montreal and finished making a small propane forge out of k26 fire brick today. Very pleased with the forge and burner I’ve made.

I’ve watched many youtube videos on blacksmithing to pick up techniques but I think a basic blacksmithing course is in my future to get me moving along in the right direction.

Very glad to have found the IFI website because it contains a wealth of information.

If any of the blacksmiths nearby are willing to share their knowledge and experience and would enjoy visiting them.