I Forge Iron

Newbie with First attempts

mzuzuz

OK I am new here and have been lurking for a few months and soaking up all I can about forging steel mostly for the purpose of making knives. I have two projects going one made from a piece of coil spring off an old truck that is already shaped like a knife and the other is my second billet forge work and my first attempt at pattern welding. This started out as 4 pieces of lawnmower blade with 5 layers of banding strap. I welded and folded this combo 3 times then cut this billet into 3 pieces and sandwiched it with 4 pieces of band saw blade. I welded this together, folded once and drew it out into the billet in the photo. I am guesing this will be about 60-70 layers if my math is correct? Anyway, I hae been woking it flat on a belt sander and tried to etch it with vinager. Hard to see but there is some pattern showing and I am hoping it all holds together when I begin shaping it into a knife blade. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and get my pics posted so that you experts have something to refer to when I start asking tons of questions. I will keep pics coming as I progress with these knives.

By the way, I am using a propane forge and have a 50lb power hammer, 3 anvils, a mountain of hammers, tongs and tools and a scrap yard of steel. I am becoming obsessed with this and will probably be asking a lot of questions.

Thanks for looking - Bob Urban

6950.attach