I Forge Iron

New Anvil (Well... new to me)

Hey everybody. I just wanted to share the pics of my new Anvil my wife picked up for me the other day, at our local pharmacy of all places. She said she paid 200 USD for it. (I'm pretty sure she overpaid) it's only about 60 lbs (haven't weighed it yet on our scales just going off what she said she was told when she got it.) The face isn't in the best shape but I think it's still useable. My steel ball bearing bounces back about 8 inches when dropped from 10 inches. The only marks I could find are the big star on the side and the 7 under the horn. I also found 3 little "holes?" In the horn that make the shape of a triangle but it has a useable work area and I like it. The ruler was for size reference. I still have my steel top hat I had been using but now I have a London pattern and I'm really happy to see my wife's support of my hobby. No idea of the maker after about a week of research. I'm really happy with it though.

IMG_20190331_151842671.jpg

IMG_20190331_151919339.jpg

IMG_20190331_152050261.jpg

IMG_20190331_152108595.jpg

IMG_20190331_152120884.jpg

IMG_20190331_152134497.jpg

IMG_20190331_152148044.jpg

IMG_20190331_152235965.jpg

I believe it is an American Star, produced by Trenton anvils and the 7 is the weight as produced. Looks like it has had a hard life but is still very usable. Hope you have read about not grinding, milling or welding on the hardened face. I'm sure others will chime in with more info.

I thought it was an American star too until I found that the star was a 5 point star this is a 6 point but it may have changed at some point I'm just not sure. I have read several posts about not grinding on it or anything like that the only thing besides hot metal the face of this anvil may see is my wood handled wire brush I'm really excited about it I just realized that railroad spikes are the perfect size for the hardy hole so I think I found what I can make a few hardy tools from to get started I actually found a post on here asking about the same star design but nobody that commented had a definitive answer on who made it. I love it though it's my first anvil with a horn so I get to learn to use the horn now