I Forge Iron

electric oven/kiln life, prolongation of

agsolder

Anybody have any experience as to whether ramping an electric kiln up to max temp, say 2000 F. at a rapid rate, say in an hour, would tend over time to shorten the life of the heating elements, and the electronic controller compared to a gentler rate? If so, what would an ideal rate of increase be for maximum equipment life? (Kiln mfr. rep says it doesn't matter. Dealer says it doesn't matter. But... controller mfr. tech suggests 500F. per hour.) I just got a little PMC kiln that looks as if it is going to be dandy for heat-treating smallish blades and I want it to last. Likewise the larger one I am in the process of building. Many thanks for any help on this.

Wifey runs her kiln pretty hard and it's holding up so far. Usually it get's heated up relatively fast, then she ramps the cooling rate. She does lampwork and beadwork. Nothing in any of her documentation said to ramp slowly for the kiln's sake.