I Forge Iron

Tool Identification

Gents,

I have a cast tool that I recently received. I am no sure what it does. It is marked with " big dutchman" "Chain" and some numbers. The opening between the divisions is less than .25 in. Photos attached. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Peter

6037.attach

6038.attach

6039.attach

Gents,

Many poultry outfits were in that part of the state before the advent of the meg-farms, so the feed chain idea is viable. Is the device intended to make the chain and if so, is it a progression set up. I just have not seen anything like this before in use.

I think they were more of an inspection item... The slot with the angle on one side was to check the gripper bar alignment (many got twisted) and that would be what the straight slot was for, to torgue the bar back to true.....

The local chicken rancher in Windsor, ME was not set up with auto feeders, but I've seen similiar tools used for moving belts....

Attached is a pic of the type of chain used with this type of tool. The links have to be rotated so that one link is lined up with the slot in the adjoining link to separate or to reconnect the chain. This type of tool could be slipped on one link and the link rotated and held while the adjoining link could be slipped out through the slot in the held link. This type of chain is common in old machinery, especially farm machinery.

6043.attach