I Forge Iron

Small-ish knives

Stormcrow

While I've been working on a variety of blade sizes and types, what I've actually finished up lately have been on the small side for me.  All are 80CrV2 steel with marine epoxy-impregnated paracord wraps.

This first is the smallest of the bunch at about a 5" long blade.  A fellow contacted me about making a knife for a friend of his who is going on a big hiking adventure in New Zealand.  He liked the looks of a smaller knife I had done several years back that appeared in an article by Joe Flowers in the final issue of "Tactical Knives" magazine, which featured retina-searing neon lemon cord for the underlay.  I happened to have some of the cord still on hand, and built an updated version of the one from several years back.

27171698439_3a12af052f_c.jpgnz01 by James Helm, on Flickr

24083602657_211185b63c_c.jpgnz02 by James Helm, on Flickr

I was able to get finished up and in the mail in time to get there the day before the friend was to leave, thankfully!

The rest of the bunch were forged to demonstrate for various shop visitors at different times, then claimed on Instagram.  They are all a bit longer than 7" blades, two long drop points and two tantos.  A couple of them went to repeat customers, which is nice, and the others to new customers, which is also nice.  :)

27171697739_53280c2af0_c.jpgsmallblades01 by James Helm, on Flickr

24083602007_752949f6b4_c.jpgsmallblades02 by James Helm, on Flickr

27171696629_863aa7448a_c.jpgsmallblades03 by James Helm, on Flickr

24083600827_40a2bdc673_c.jpgsmallblades04 by James Helm, on Flickr

27171695439_c0113bafdc_c.jpgsmallblades05 by James Helm, on Flickr

And now I'm working on finishing up bush swords.  :D

25077576618_2238f2f76d_c.jpgbushswords01 by James Helm, on Flickr

I have found that l like the tanto style for general purpose use.  The points seem a bit too long on these versions for my preference.  I like to use the points as slitters  for packages and to do chisel type carving cuts.  I often use a wiggle type lever cut.   Really cool knives overall though! I like your slightly rustic finishes!  

These tanto tips are definitely built with stabbiness in mind.

Just had a customer in Finland who got this other red-and-black wrapped slim tanto a while back post video of it batoning firewood and having its tip used to split kindling sticks.  It was made as a slim fighter, too.  :D

38295156934_fec16cd8e0_c.jpgjltanto01 by James Helm, on Flickr