I Forge Iron

Rail Road Steel

Chuck Richards

Just a suggestion, Many are making knives out of RR spikes. They are great practice and look really cool. I admit i even make a few now and then. But do not discount some of the other steel available from the RR. The coil springs off the cars make great blades. Not sure what the steel is but it gives a killer Hamon. Tie clips are also a great source of steel. These are used to prevent the ties from sliding under the rail. They are 1" square and usually made of 1084. Gage bars are also made of 1084, they are used to ensure the track stays at the proper distance apart so the train does not go on the ground. If you live near a good RR yard check with one of the track gangs. They are more than happy to help out especially if you come bearing gifts.

Thanks Chuck
I was up at Siskiyou summit last week and there's a pile of plates and spikes with tie clips also, I picked up some spikes but will have to go back to get some clips, didn't know about them.
I think they have quit rail service over the summit.

Habu,

Looks like a track gang pile to me. Track bolts are good too. Most of the clips I see are the newer ones. I prefer the solid 1" square ones.

Phil,
Most isolated island???? Try living on ADAK. Just about as far from anywere as you can get. Don't call it the birthplace of the wind for nothing. However I did love the 3 years I spent there. I almost have it too good. Need to stop buying steel, yah right

Thanks for the tips on RR steel "stuff"

Chuck... I did some time on Adak also... But I was a little squirt of about 4 when we lived there... (1957-58) Pretty cool place as I remember. (pun intended). Then in 1959-60 we lived on Guam. Now that place was a blast for a 6 year old!!