I Forge Iron

6 lb. what's-it?

58fe8d3e3c8ec_YPanchor6lb.blacksmithtool003.thumb.JPG.85bdb339500b8d57fc332362062be92d.JPG58fe8f1d8993c_YPanchor6lb.blacksmithtool004.thumb.JPG.74b7beebeed829982a148b482f657364.JPG58fe8e41630d9_YPanchor6lb.blacksmithtool005.thumb.JPG.3e45665ce64bf8831ab276e1fe9a94f0.JPGBought this cheap at a antique store. Got it to use the handle (handle never had wedges in it) for another tool. Have no idea what the head would be used for, although it certainly looks like it's held in place by one person as someone  else strikes it with a sledge. I figured it was used in ship building because of the anchor marking on it, then I saw someone posted a picture of a top swage with the same makers mark (Y P with an anchor between the letters). Anyone have any ideas? Thanks. Mert.

That's the first time I've heard of someone buying a tool for the handle!

A tool that is struck by a sledge is called a top tool. Held on top of the material and hit by a striker, and believe it or not a tool that would be placed underneath would be called a bottom tool (bottom swage, hot cut, bottom fuller, etc.)

Littleblacksmith

Yup. It was $8 and the head is just set on the handle- no wedges. So I figured I'd buy it for the handle (I have several heads in need of handles) and if the head turned out to be something I could use in blacksmithing then that would just be a bonus. Thanks for the tool-lingo info. Mert.