I Forge Iron

Hybrid press idea.

Rigby

Im new to building presses other than a couple big slow moving presses at the shop for straightening shafts and pressing bearings and bushings.... just general repair shop type use. But I recently decided to start building my home equipment collection and have an idea. I REALLY want to build a fly press as most of my home use will be cold forming sheet metal and ornamental/decorative grooving and stuff. But occasionally I'd like to have the ease of a hydraulic press as well. Rather than building 2 units is it possible to build a hydraulic press with large ram ports and large plumbing and control it with a "flywheel" like a fly press? I like the idea in my head of being able to turn a wheel nice and slow and have the ram just creep or really fling the wheel and really make the ram move in a hurry. I'm not hydraulically savy and don't even know where to begin looking in to a control like this. Can some of you knowledgeable folks tell me if this is a doable thing or if it's just a pipe dream and help me out on terminology if something like this already exists. Thanks in advance.

P.s. I'm not looking to build more than 6-8 tons. Anything I need to do larger than that I have a 15 and 45 ton at work I can use.