I Forge Iron

NG Burner: Parts to scrounge from old furnace?

Andy98

Hi,

So my 1/2" Frosty T burner has frankly been fantastic, and it barely sips from the propane tank - but I'm thinking of moving to NG since, you know, it's piped right into my house and it should also be cheaper (I'll save $15 per equivalent 20lb BBQ tank of propane).

With the T-burner, I'd run at 6psi for (the one and only successful attempt at) welding, and 2psi for forging. Per the BTU calculator on Ron Reil's site, that's 40000BTUs and 18000BTUs respectively.

I've acquired an old (mid efficiency) gas furnace for $0. I intend to take the draft inducer off it - I'm under the impression that it'll make a pretty good blower, and that I can modulate the intake air with a gate valve of some type.

Is there anything else that would be good to keep before I toss the rest of the furnace? Gas valve? Flame sensor? Pressure/flow switch?

Thanks!

If the furnace is rated for sufficient output I suppose you could flirt with keeping the entire gas train intact and just changing the burner outlet to one that is compatible with your forge. That could leave you with the entire safety assembly intact (though a standard Basso style pilot flame monitor won't work well for a forge).  Might want to be clear on why the furnace was replaced in the first place though.  I would certainly salvage the manual gas isolation valve, at least.

Good luck.