I Forge Iron

Fulton / Columbian cast steel anvil (pre Sears run) - unicorn vs user?

So I think I may have stumbled onto a "unicorn" anvil in pursuit of a smaller, more portable cast steel unit for my shop as part of an auction purchase at a nearby small engine shop.  As I've done some reading since it seems like this specific example is a particular rarity, as it's got the Columbian logo (as well as a large H embossed on the opposite side) but the word "FULTON" stamped below rather than embossed on the side like the Fulton / Sears units as described on Anvilfire:

http://www.anvilfire.com/anvils/donated_056.php

The only reference I could find about an anvil like this one was almost 9 years ago in the ABANA forums, and the identification information was provided by Richard Postman himself via Ken Scharabok: 

http://www.abana.org/resources/discus/messages/273/1742.html?1325488722

" I spoke with Mr. Postman last Sunday and I noted how anvil research is a bit like a large jigsaw puzzle. Sometime you have blocks of information when suddenly one piece ties two of them together. 

First your anvils is a COLUMBIAN, made by the Columbian Hardware Company of Cleveland, OH. Would date from about 1900-1924. 

Second is it is stamped below that FULTON. In Anvils in America under FULTON he has: "The name is cast in relief on the side. These anvils were made for Sears Robuck and Company int he 1920s. Producer unknown." 

On yours the FULTON is stamped in, which, if my guess is right, may have been a very early one, possibly before Columbian Hardware made specific molds for FULTONs. 

Would be one piece cast steel of very high quality. 

You may have a one-of-a-kind. "

Columbians also have at least M and J on the side opposite their logo. No one knows what the letter stood for. Obviously the markings meant something to them at the time. 

I spoke with Mr. Postman last evening. He said he suspected Columbian might have made the FULTON. Time period is right, they are also very high quality cast anvils and look like Columbians. Cleveland, OH would have been a fair short train run to Chicago. He just didn't have any confirming information until your photographs. 

He also thinks Sears placed an order with them for a high-end anvil. Until they were able to get molds made up with FULTON in large raised letters, they simply stamped FULTON under their logo. 

He has seen literally thousands of anvils and your's is the first to turn up. 

Now if only someone would find a SAMSON anvil.

This anvil matches the unit photographed in the old thread exactly, though that example appears to have been cleaned before it was photographed.

Here are photos of the anvil in question:

2884306_zpsoyxej8ry.jpg

2884308_zpsuhbxe8mu.jpg

2884309_zpsokbtmfe9.jpg

2884310_zpsngfthsyx.jpg

D7F75397-D698-4DD4-88D7-80E7F35DD451_zps

I was going to clean it up and put it to work, but before I do anything I want to confirm if this is something I should be treating as a collectible of some historical significance to other blacksmiths  (which would mean leaving it alone and trading/selling it so I can get the tool I'm after), or if it's more or less a typical cast steel anvil that is "safe" to use without potentially ruining something of historical and economic value?  I don't suppose anyone has unearthed a warehouse full of these anvils in the past 9 years that makes them more common than I think it is?   If it's really a rarity I'd also like to have my wife (who's a food blogger and does great photography work) take some high quality photos of it for Mr. Postman, Anvilfire and this forum of course.

Opinions / comments / advice appreciated... thanks!