I Forge Iron

A little metal work - Mjölnir inspired pendent

dannytsg

One of my closest friends has a birthday coming up and he is very much into Vikings and reenactment. I decided to have a go at making a pendant in a Mjölnir style out of some old steel I had lying around. 

I started by hot cutting the rough shape and then profiling it roughly with a dremmel and small grinding disk. From there I took to hand files, intentionally leaving it rough looking as I wanted it to have that old, rough forged kind of look. Once I had the profile sorted I decided to cut in some edged work using a triangular shaped file and also tried my hand at carving in some runes (the rune on the back didn't come out as planned so it's more just a decorative item). Finally used a small wire wheel to clean off the surface crud. Being mild steel it had accumulated a load of surface crud. Then I decided to temper the metal at 200 degree for an hour to get a nice straw/gold colouring.

I didn't really have a plan when I set out on this but I think it came together well. After adding the wire twine twist wrap I added a cord for the necklace. I am in two minds as to whether to make a 3 braid necklace and use that which i think will finish it well if I do.

IMG_6247.JPG

IMG_6248.JPG

IMG_6249.JPG

IMG_6250.JPG

IMG_6251.JPG