I Forge Iron

Need some help

In the near future I'm planning on going to a craft show to set up a booth. I was just wondering what I might be able to make easily/quickly, sell, and have a decent profit.                             Thanks,

Littleblacksith 

Stupid dissapearing post issue again...GRRRRR!.

Key chains ( leaf, animal heads, split crosses), RR spike items, Horse shoe items, bottle openers, dinner triangles, plant hangers, S hooks... The list goes on and on.

I like to price my stuff in the $5, $10, $15, and $20 range as well as have a few other more expensive items that show off my skill set to possibly pick up commissions. That makes making change easy ( I get a wad of $5 and a few $10 bills to make change with) and are reasonably priced for "impulse" sales.

You might also think about getting some business cards made up. Vistaprint often has offers for inexpensive cards. that way someone will be able to get in touch with you later. I had a customer who bought one of my openers this summer contact me for a few more for Christmas presents in November. I brought over a dozen or so to give them some selection and they bought every one of them.

Selling is more than just items. A big part of it is presentation. If I am doing a demo, I can usually sell almost every leaf key chain, split cross, or bottle opener I make to some one in the crowd who is watching. If not I'll often sell them one of the "spares" I have out on the table.

About the split cross key chains. what size steel do you use, how long, and how long do you make the cuts?

thanks in advance,

Littleblacksmith

I forgot to mention that this will be my first time to try to sell anything out in the public at a show. so if any of you also have beginner tips, it would be helpful to.

I haven't done a show booth like that but I have done similar so here's a few tips.

Dress just a hair better than the customers will tend to--not over-dressed but not such that anyone notices you are under-dressed.  Remember this is selling and YOUR impression is as important as the stuff on sale. You need to appear professional so you don't come off as a glorified junk dealer.

Liquids to drink--you'll need it.  Be sure to scope out where the restrooms are so you can make a quick trip if needed without seeming to abandon your booth.  Keep well hydrated.

Stool or drafting-height chair if possible.  You can't stand all day and with a taller chair you don't give the impression you are "taking a break".  Stool, although it'll wear out your back, makes you sit up straighter.

Something to keep your hands busy--preferably something like a drawing pad for design (clean work),  That way you can sketch something for a customer who wants "custom" and look attentive/busy during slow times.  Customers almost ALWAYS come in clumps with dead air between.  Other work is great (especially show) but you don't want to get grubby.

If there will be someone else to cover for you, be sure to take breaks...booth watching is tedious and tiring unless you get a break.  You want to keep this fun, not torture.

EYE CONTACT! FRIENDLY! Also helps if you can thrill the kids with something (like a tiny freebie) as that catches the parents and their wallets.  Little worm made from a nail for example.  Not for every kid but for catching those who's family has started nibbling at the lure.

Chick stuff (like horseshoe hearts) ...men tend to follow their female companions rather than the other way around. Give the females a reason to look more closely and the family will follow.

Energy boosting snack/caffeine.  Most people get the energy loss about 3 pm and you'll need a boost to keep it up to the finish line.

"Sell the sizzle, not the steak".  People buy stuff not based on features but based on emotion.  If you are talking with customers, use emotion words and not feature words.  "You can hang hats on this hook" WON"T sell:  "This would look cute on the wall of your house" will.  If you sell necklace pieces like a cross, have a mirror hanging and point it out so people can see themselves (this is not about actually seeing how it looks but the emotions involved)

Attention grabber.  If you have a glorious piece, put it in plain sight.  Otherwise invent something which catches jaded passers.  This may be something as simple as wearing a top hat or a big stuffed teddy bear holding your product...just something different to break the hypnotism that comes from shopping booth after booth after booth.

Watch, listen, and learn.  Big corps have whole departments involved with consumer research...and you have to be yours.  Even failures are learning experiences.

HAVE FUN.  If you aren't, the customers will "feel" the vibe.  Don't let some nasty customer shake your positive attitude:  There are always a jerk or three and just let it roll off your back ("I could make that 1/10th the cost...what a rip-off!"

Put people on your mailing list if there is any way to do so---and do a quarterly newsletter if possible.  This might be beyond what a "first timer" can get done but would pay off in the long run if you can start building a customer database and keeping contact.  In sales, a second bite at the apple can really pay off so a mailing with photos/prices around holidays to catch the ones that got away is worth it.

That's a few of my ideas..but the list is book length.  Read up on sales technique if you can find a good book because there really is more to the whole thing than just "selling".

Mods please merge with original thread....

This thread will answer most of your questions easier than me retyping most of it.

I'm doing 1/2" and 3/8" crosses. I haven't tried any 1/4" ones yet but I will at some point. I need a better saw that what I'm using now.

As far as ideas, do a google search on shows and put Iforgeiron in the search and it may bring up a bunch of previous discussions on the subject. A few picts of my last display to give you a few ideas. "Table" is an old barn door. Upright panel is some bead board left over from a job to help get things up off the table so people can see them at a distance. I was kind of limited where they stuck me. I can't find picts of the demo at the Grange fair right now. That display was a lot nicer.

DSCN5090.thumb.JPG.200f6aeac9f40ef4e9e9e

DSCN5091.JPG

DSCN5092.JPG

DSCN5093.JPG