I Forge Iron

what to watch out for when buying a new anvil?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy an anvil but it seems people will often try to sell you complete rubbish.

Can anyone tell me what tot look out for? I know a iron dealer who has about 10 or so laying around that I could buy for a small price.. but I want to know if they're gonna be worth it before buying.

Welcome to the site.  I think if you read in the anvil section a bit you will find that this question, or one rather similar has been discussed more than once.

I'm hardly an expert, but to get you started...

Unfortunately this is a pretty open ended question.  A lot depends on what you want to do with your anvil.  One that is particularly suitable for making horse shoes will be different from one for major architectural steel fabrication, or one most suitable for blade-smithing. The general things that seem to be considered in selection of an anvil include the following (in no particular order):

1. Weight: an arguable point regarding the specific weight ranges,  but, do you want something that is easily transportable (120 lbs. or lighter range), for general shop fabrication (150 lbs. and up), large forgings (200 lbs. and up)
  2. Configuration: single or double horn, stepped cutting plate, location and size of hardy and pritchel holes...  Again this depends on what you want to use it for.  I do like the German pattern double horn anvils you seem to have more of over in Europe, but you can do some great blade-smithing on an 80 lb.  6" x 6" block of steel set on end into a solid mount.
  3. Condition:  mostly of the anvil face, but if legs are broken off it can be a hassle, and if the body is cracked, stay away. Check this site for rebound test and face delamination for more information. It is nice if there are no noticeable large divots in the face and that it is generally speaking flat and true, but these defects can be worked around.  If this is an anvil for use, rather than collecting, edge condition can also be an issue.  Check this site for info on recommended edge radius.  Rust and or paint are no big deal, but can hide defects, so inspect closely.
  4. Method of manufacture:  forged or cast steel with a hardened face probably best.  Generally stay away from modern cast iron anvils, unless you are looking for a doorstop.

I think you need to do a bit more research.  Recommend reading the forums here and checking

link removed at the request of Jock, anvilfire owner.

Good luck.