I Forge Iron

why are anvils so hard to come by at a working mans salary

I was at an estate sale recently and saw what was proably a 150 lb anvil at one point, the heel was gone from the hardy back, face was very thin, edges terrible, not much more than scrap. I am in a local club and decided that if I could get it cheap I would to let a newbie use as a make do starter. I stopped bidding at $60. Talked to the guy that bought and he said he could get $200 for it easy. Has a booth to sale them and a guy to call for any anvil he gets. I told him that there must be a sucker born every minute because it surely wsn't worth it and it was stuff like what he's doing that makes it hard for those of us who actually want anvils to use. Don't think that went over real with him, but oh well.

I am not sure what your "working mans" salary is but I am a full time blacksmith,  About as "working man" as it gets and I have at least 7 anvils in the shop,  One new one that cost a couple grand.   Sounds to me like you just dont want to spend a few bucks on a real tool.    If your driving a car/truck that is less than 10 years old but your complaining about a anvil costing a few car payments then you simply dont really want an anvil.     I really get tired of "All the anvils are crazy prices" posts.    A really nice brand new anvil can be had for around $5/lb  which is just about what raw tool steel costs,  At $5/lb anvils are cheaper than just about any other tool you can buy (by the pound)     A "real good" hammer like one made by Nathen Robertson or Brent Bailey is going to cost you in the neighborhood of $50/lb      A snap on wrench probably costs $25/lb at least.      And as others said,   The cost is moot anyway because if you take care of it it will be worth more than you paid when its time to rehome it.