I Forge Iron

All Hands Meeting
Spring 2014     May 31st – June 1st
Mohawk Region

“The Makings of a Hammer”
This year, the Mohawk Region is presenting “The Makings of a Hammer”, a presentation outlining the makings of the tools used to blacksmith a hammer, followed by a demonstration on using these tools.

The Mohawk Region’s of Forgemaster, Steve Ruger, will demonstrate at his shop,
5891 Ridge Road, Cazenovia, NY 13035

how to make:

- A simple punch
- A hammer drift
- Top and bottom fullers
- Hump tools
- Brazeal -style hammer tongs
- Rounding tool

And finally, use all these tools to demonstrate the makings of a hammer.

Meeting Schedule
SATURDAY
            8:00 Coffee, doughnuts and other baked goods
9:00 Tool making demonstration
10:30 Hands on practice making the tools outlined in the demonstration. Personal safety equipment is required at this meeting. This includes but is not limited to eye, ear and hand protection (steel toed shoes are recommended)
12:00 Lunch
1:00 Iron in the Hat raffle/Donated item auctions
1:30 Weather Vane competition
3:30 Hands on practice of hammer making tools/open forge. This will last until dinner time.

SUNDAY
9:00 Coffee, doughnuts and other baked goods
10:00 Hammer making demonstration
11:00 Hands on practice/open forge
12:00 Lunch
1:00 Open forge

Meeting Costs

Saturday is $20 plus $5 for lunch stew and dinner cookout

Sunday is $10 with leftovers for lunch

Additional materials will be available for purchase.

Mail money to: 

NYSDB

1026 Washington Street
Spencerport, NY 14559

Or pay at the door.
If you plan on attending in advance, we ask that you pay in advance. This will help us get a better idea of turn out as well as make sure that food and materials are sufficient for everyone to enjoy themselves.
This will be held at my Stephen’s home in Cazenovia there will be some room for camping available. if you have question you can call Steve at 315 687 3045.

NYSDB Summer Picnic

The summer picnic is scheduled for Aug 1-3, 2014 at the Ferenbaugh camp  ground, 4248 State Rte. 414 , Corning , NY 14830.

We will have the use of a big pavilion to set up our forges under cover icon_smile.gif and the other campers and civilians will be invited to come watch/work/join .  There is a scrap yard up the road about 7 miles we can go to fri. or sat.  Additional details we be provided as we move closer but schedule your time now by checking out the website, at www.ferenbaugh.com.  They have a pool , fishing pond , mini golf and other stuff there.  Their number is -607-962-6193 to reserve a site.

Contact John Fee with any questions, jfee@stny.rr.com, 607-523-6677, 607-368-6688

• 1 month later...

Wow! That picnic is basically in my back yard. I pulled a 50# post vice out of that scrapyard's pile if your talking about Swarthout's. I just got around to getting a membership this morning after putting it off for the last six months. Im not sure what my work schedule is that week but I'll definitely show up for a bit. I'm excited now.

• 4 months later...
2014 Fall All-Member Meeting October 18th and 19th

Mark your calendars!  The annual Fall All hands is this October 18th and 19th.

Come see scholarship winner Candace Martens demonstrate what she learned in the Japanese Inlay Class she took at Peter’s Valley including tool making, heat treating, and the inlay process.  John Fee will also demonstrate his mason jar drink handle.  On Sunday we will have a forging competition led by Kyle Beach.  Don’t forget an item for Iron In the Hat!

To be held at the Rochester Arc & Flame Center, 125 Fedex Way, Rochester, NY 14624.

For Directions, click here

Download the Flyer:      Oct 2014 All Hands

Activities start at 8AM each day.

• 5 months later...

NIAGARA FORGE Will be hosting the SPRING ALL HANDS MEETING at ANDY CHAMBERS SHOP, 1 Roberts Ave, BUFFALO. On the weekend of MAY 2nd and 3rd 2015. The demonstrator will be STEVE MANKOWSKI a member of the COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG BLACKSMITHS. Steve will be conducting a demonstration/workshop over the two days. Lunch will be provided. There is ample room for trailers and R.V’s. you are encouraged to bring your portable forges in order to participate in this event. Cost is $30 for the two days or $20 for the Saturday only. There will be IRON IN THE HAT on SATURDAY  so please plan on bringing something to donate. A trifold flyer is being made up and will be sent out in the near future. For any information please e-mail Peter Parry  blacksmithpeter@live.ca   

Edited by brianmartens