I Forge Iron

Disaster donation fund

After talking with Glenn and assuring him of what I was trying to do, and he agreed, I've got permission to re-post this topic.

Here is the story, in short.  Just over a week ago, after weeks of heavy rain, a hillside about 50 miles north of me cut loose.  It created a zone of devastation a mile wide and over a mile long.  It wiped out a number of homes and small farms near the town of Oso.  As of the last I've heard there are 25 known dead and 30 still missing and presumed dead.

This area is well known to me, I've hiked and camped and hunted mushrooms there for many years.  There are plenty of qualified and able people on hand to hunt for the missing, but I would like to do something.  This is what I've decided to do.

Buy one of my EDC's (every day carry).  They are my most inexpensive pieces.  They are waterjet cut, but otherwise hand finished, and they come with your choice of handle, I've got many kinds of wood, stabilized and natural, antler, and some micarta, and a belt sheath.   The EDC with sheath is $150 USD.  All of that will go to United Way of Snohomish county with 100% of the money used for the Oso relief fund.  If you would like to step up and buy one of my forged pieces, or my waterjet kitchen knives, 75% of that will be directed to the Oso fund as well.

I'm not asking for charity.  I'm asking you to buy my product, so I can be charitable to my neighbors.  I am an ABS JS bladesmith and I have been making knives for over 20 years.  You get a good quality knife, a story to tell your friends, and we both get to help some people who really need it.

post-46125-0-58665600-1396307704_thumb.j  post-46125-0-26950400-1396307714_thumb.j

Check my website www.5elementsforge.com and click on the EDC's in the gallery for a few more pics of the designs.  I'm going to let this run until the end of April, which includes my two Spring shows, Eugene Oregon and the Seattle International Knife Show.

Thank you all,

Geoff

Just so this is completely clear, the EDC's are my line of semi-production knives.  I always have a number of them in the production stream.  If I sell 100 of them (which would be a lot, I think), then I will complete and ship 100 knives and all of the money will go to the relief fund.  The ones pictured are just a sample, there are 8 designs on my website.  If you would like to order a full custom piece, I will honor the 75% donation that I mentioned above.

Geoff

Tried to bump this, is that not allowed?

Geoff

No.   In addition to a "bump" being an empty post.  This topic has been pinned, keeping it always at the top.

The way this forum works, any unread posts will be highlighted, so people can see if there is new information added to a thread no matter where it is on the page, or in the case of a BUMP just find spam. Think of the mess it creates if every member deccided to BUMP every post they want to see above someone elses post?  we have to draw a line some where.

Just an update.  We're home from the OKCA show, and we did better than I've ever done at that show.  To refresh everyone, in support of the people who lost everything at the Oso slide here in Washington state, and all of the people involved in the recovery effort, I have decided to donate all of the proceeds of the sales of my EDCs to one of the recovery funds.  In addition I'm donating 75% of the sales of my forged work.  I'm running this until April 30, so there is still time to get in, if you've an interest. 

In 3 days at the OKCA show we took in over $1200 !  Much of that was table sales of my forged pieces and EDC's, but quite a bit was people giving us $10 and $20 out of their pocket money, one old gent gave me his last $3.  I want to thank everyone who has donated, and everyone who is going to do so.

Thank you

Geoff and Marianne