I Forge Iron

Amazing weekend with Balcones Forge in Central Texas

It's sad that it took me over a year to finally be able to make one of the events hosted by Balcones Forge here in Central Texas.  My only excuse is a busy schedule with family and work, but for any new or old smiths who haven't joined their local ABANA group find a way to make the meetings, you learn so much more from an experienced smith than you do on your own!  Yesterday we met at a replica of a historic Swedish blacksmith shop near the center of Austin and I've never felt so welcome by a group of people.  Everyone was incredibly friendly and willing to share their wealth of knowledge, much like the IFI family we have here.  It really helps to have someone with more experience watch over your shoulder to give helpful advice based on what your doing.  I was forge welding 4 pieces of 1/8" square together to make a small Christmas ornament.  The 1st forge weld was very burnt, 2nd not as much and then the 3rd, 4th & 5th went much better and easier because of the advice provided by one of the more experienced smiths.  Here is the 2nd ornament of this type that I made.  It's about 4-5" in length.

post-34362-0-12247900-1387205725_thumb.j

Then today we got together again with some of the members and I was very fortunate to have my two oldest kids with me today at the forge. Each of them got to spend time forging icicles and showing spectators what they were making. Then while we were driving away both of them without me even asking how they liked it said that next time there's a meeting not to go without them! A special thanks to Laurie and Craig for all their help today, we had a great time!

Below is one of the bottle openers Craig made for my kids, since neither of them can drink decided it'd be a good ornament as well.  Then an icicle my 13 yo son made.  He had first made a real fine hook on the end but burned it up and had to redo it.

post-34362-0-28914200-1387205913_thumb.j

post-34362-0-20725400-1387206068_thumb.j

It is great that y'all had a good time.  It was good to see that you were able to get the bag of coke that you were needing.  We will have volunteers from the group working the forge at Pioneer Museum in Fredericksburg through the week of Spring Break. If you can, February in Bryan, TX at Steephollow Forgeworks is another good one.  Well worth the trip.  The Bluebonnet Demo will be Mark Aspery.  All great opportunities to learn.

I'm definitely interested in volunteering in Fredericksburg, and putting upcoming events on the calendar.  I was planning on taking some time off around Spring Break to paint my truck anyway, could take a break from that.  Not sure how many opportunities I can make with work requirements, but I can certainly help some!  If my oldest kids are available I'm sure they'd like to help as well, both are getting experience working hot metal and comfortable talking with spectators. 

Do y'all ever volunteer at Pioneer Farms in Pflugerville?  I know we've seen demo's there before, but one weekend with the cub scouts there wasn't a blacksmith available.

There is another farm in the Austin area that I have been to with the group but don't think it was in Pflugerville.  We are pretty good about getting someone out if the requests come in early enough.  A lot of people will make their request the weekend before when, it really should be months before.  When we can't be somewhere as a group a lot of times individual members will volunteer to take on the task.  Lately, our schedule has stayed pretty full (which is a good thing).