I Forge Iron

Introduction and BGOP question

JasonHurley

Hi Everyone!

I just finished taking the Blacksmithing 101 class through the BGCM and it was a blast.  I would love to keep at it, but I live in a townhouse in Montgomery County, MD so I can't set up any home forges.

After doing some researching, I found that the closest guild/club is the Blacksmith Guild of the Potomac in Arlington, VA.  Are there any members from BGOP on here?  I was wondering if there is open forge time for members and how often they meet?  I'm aware of the monthly meetings, but I couldn't find any information about using the forge(s).  Is there a certain night a week that the forge is open or is open all the time?  Also, what other benefits/perks are there to the membership?

Looking forward to get this hobby up and going!  Thanks!

- Jason

I am a Member of BGOP but have not been down there lately.  I am also a member of the Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland [bGCM].

According to the web site, they have meetings 7:30pm on the first and third Fridays of each month, but don't expect a room full of forges such as is available in the School Shop of the Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland.

Their website for more information is: http://www.bgop.org/

and their email address is: infobgop@gmail.com

Thanks, David.  I think what I meant was how often is the forge available to members?  Is it only available during the first and third Fridays of the month, during the shop meetings?  Or are there more opportunities?  I've emailed the address you listed, but figured I'd ask the forum, too, to seek a quick answer.

Jason, sorry I don't know.  A few moments ago I sent a message to the newsletter editor at BGOP with your question. 

Another option is to go to their meetings and talk to folks.  Sometimes a person can find someone near them that will invite him/her into their shop.  Or in some museum shops that are manned exclusively by volunteers, you might find forge time by volunteering.