I Forge Iron

Planning class for a forge

Hi, I'm looking in to building a forge ( in the uk ) and i wondered if anyone knew about current regulations regarding the planning class they fall in to, proximity requirements to residential areas, building requirements that type of thing. In the short term i was going to try and rent somewhere, are there any regulations that dictate where i can set up a forge? And on the off chance, is there anyone in or near Plymouth with space they would be willing to rent out or share? 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, IMO the best bet would be to call and talk to the fire department (or alike in the UK) and ask them. My local FD didn't have any rules/regulations, so they told me to just abide by the fire pit and BBQ codes. (15 feet from any flammable structure, fire extinguisher near, and "keep outta site from nosey neighbors"- said by the 2nd in command there. "If we get called out we will shut you down for good."

As for the renting a place, a lot of places would require a large then normal insurance policy, that is IF the renter lets you in the first place. Might be able to rent a garage or a backyard of a friend if your equipment is semi-portable.

Jayrocko

Are you planning to do this as a business or a hobby? There's a huge difference in most areas. Home hobby stuff usually falls under codes that typically are enforced by complaint. If someone complains, the local municipality does something. If not, then you go on your merry way... If you are doing this as a business, then things change. Most places in urban and suburban areas are "zoned" You can do certain types of things in certain areas. They don't want someone who runs a chemical plant next door to homes and so on for example. Where I live I can't run any business from my home that has customers that come in, or do any heavy fabrication etc. I could run a computer consulting firm, but they'd have issues if I ran a full time forge. On the other hand they could care less if it's my hobby... as long as no one complains.

• 4 weeks later...

With regards to finding some space, have a word with some local farmers. You would be surprised at what they might have unused and would welcome a bit of money each month. Might know a few farmers up on dartmoor (around moretonhampstead) with some space. Send me a pm if that's close enough for you. Not sure where in Plymouth you are.