I Forge Iron

about to start my 1st forge build! -- is BLUE MONSTER suitable pipe sealant?

reneeholiday

well, the parts arrived from Zoeller on Wednesday... it's driving me mad I haven't been able to start work on it yet, but patience is something I'm striving to learn. :-)

anyway, the one thing I was having trouble with is finding pipe sealant. I went to the local AirGas to try to get it, but they didn't really have anything suitable. they referred me to a boiler supply place down the street. I went over there and they don't really carry supplies to sell, but gave me part of a can of blue monster. anyone have any experience with this? is it ok?

I will update thread as I go along.

thanks!

To tell the truth, I don't use any thread sealant on anything past the gas connection. I. E. the main tub to bell/ tee/ Y etc. In fact, most of the gas connections in my system are compression fittings. If you are using any of the common burner styles such as the Ron Riel type, the "permanently attached" gas orifice tube will need a high temp sealant but everything before that can be sealed with Teflon tape. I use a removable gas tube that I can take out of the burner as soon as I shut down so even when heat wicks up the burner tube, there is no danger of overheating the gas supply connection.

post-38-0-54902100-1380340002_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-98385000-1380339852_thumb.jpg

Both the orifice tube and the supply tube are attached via compression fitting so no sealant required. I don't use anything on the steel parts either as there isn't any significant pressure involved