I Forge Iron

Beginner from New Jersey

Guest Zpyke

Hello. I just wanted to introduce myself. I am from Northeast, New Jersey, Clifton to be exact.

My names Danny. I have been interested in doing blacksmith work for many years now. I just recently graduated from college so I finally have time to do so. I have already emailed the President of New Jersey Blacksmith association and the President of the Northeast Blacksmith association in regards to becoming a member. I have read everything and anything that I can find online about doing blacksmith work. A large majority of the stuff I read is from Iforgeiron so I figured it was about time that I signed up myself. I am in the process of getting all the tools, items, anvil and forge that is needed to get started. So any help or suggestions on where I can get cheap or used tools or supplies would be greatly appreciated.

I have looked into many different blacksmith schools and courses but being that I just graduated from college my budget is very small so they are all out of my price range. I would really love to work as an apprentice but it seems that is very difficult to find now a days. Anyone know of a blacksmith in my general area that would be willing to take me under their wing and teach me? I'd be willing to trade work and manual labor in exchange for some lessons.

I look foward to talking to all of you in the forums.
Danny

Hello Danny and welcome.

Keeping your eyes open on CL as one option. If I'm serious about locating something, I like to use Searchtempest to widen my CL search. I see stuff pop up from time to time, but you have to be quick usually in this area. Know what you are looking for and what going rates are. You can find some real deals on CL, but some people want crazy money for anything "old". Flea markets and yard sales are always good spots. I try and stop in the ones I see regularly. Antique shops are a mixed resource. Sometimes you can find some really good deals ...  and other times they want stupid money for just plain junk. Auctions and estate sales are also possibilities. Used tool shops, are another possibility. Being near NY, you might look at what used industrial tool suppliers there are. Many times guys like that buy up old businesses that are closing up and they may have deals on things like old belt driven drill presses, lathes etc..

DSW: I have been looking at CL but so far everyone is asking for insane money, especially for anvils. A good anvil is definitely the hardest thing for me to find right now. I haven't heard of searchtempest before but I am going to check it out as soon as I am done with this post. Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

NJanvilman: What is involved in me joining? Can I just come to an open forge and join when i get there? I am very excited to get started so I would like to start as soon as possible.

Danny, Check your PM's.

I'm glad it helped. I was shown that years ago and it works great.

Oh one other thing, At some point you need to make time and drive down to Joseph Fazzio's place in Glassboro Nj. They sell steel and alloys by the foot at reasonable prices. Their "new" store has a huge selection of new tools and construction supplies.  However it's their "old" store next door that's the real treat. They have all sorts of used and surplus tools, parts and materials. ( they also have a large assortment of sizes of Anvil shaped objects if you can't find anything else.) They have several other locations as well. I've only been to the "main" store in Glassboro and their store in Newcastle De. The New Castle store doesn't have near the quantity of used tools the main one does, but since most of it is all stuff bought when places go out of business and at auctions, the selection is completely different. It's worth a stop if you are in the area. I can spend hours rooting thru bins of parts, tools and surplus stuff at the main store.

http://www.shopjfi.com/

I will definitely check it out the next time I am down there. I should be down there within the next few weeks. I might actually have a lead on an anvil. I just got a response from someone I emailed on CL a few days ago.

Thanks again. You have been extremely helpful.

Danny