I Forge Iron

Welding a framing chisel.

I've got what was a really nice Witherby framing chisel that delaminated on me and I'm wondering if I can weld it back together. I've talked to a friend of mine who says he tried it on one of his, but couldn't get it to stick. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

post-553-0-64848900-1372963228_thumb.jpg

I think I could do it.

Heres the approach I would take.

Heat it so the split can be opened up a bit more and/or delaminate more if it has a week weld.

Then, while hot I would blunt the tip and sides so I wouldn't loose the thin material during forge welding. Upsetting the end and sides to build more mass.

I would use a coal forge so I could control the heat really well. Using flux, get it to nice even saturated forge weld heat. Put the thick side on the anvil while welding. Gentile blows.

I'd do it twice to be sure it stuck.

Then, at orange heat, I'd forge it back to original shape...

Anneal, grind, finish and heat treat as needed.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the input. Fe-Wood, I was thinking of doing just that. My concern is that I won't get it clean enough down in the crack to get a good weld. My other option is to cut it back to good weld and put a long handle on it and use it as a mini slick. It's a shame it broke, it was about the nicest framing chisel I've seen.