I Forge Iron

Starting over

Several years after selling all my stuff, I'm living in a place where I can finally start developing a shop again.
  I'm only really interested in forging carpentry tools, hammers, working knives, etc...  very little ornamental work.
  So, the anvil options I have are (looking for a vote here...)
  1)  A 50kg PFP (peddinghaus) single horn in mint condition showed up for 500.
  2)  That much money would buy a LOT of unhardened 4140 plate.  300 lbs or so.
  Which should I do?
  Either will be a downgrade (had a 200 lb OWA bulgar before) but anvil prices have shot up a ton since then.
  I suppose option 3 is "Save up more and buy something else."

Drew, can I add option #4: find some upcoming blacksmith events and visit their tailgate section. Even if they don't have the anvil you want someone will know where one might be. In your area there should be plenty of events in all directions on the books. Here in south Mississippi $300 will get you a fine anvil at most gatherings. I notice you have some brand names in mind, I don't know much about that, but just a few years back I gave $160 for a 175lbs anvil in near perfect condition. It doesn't have any markings on it but has been a good one. Good luck to you
Chuck

I have no particular attachment to any brand or the other, except trying to understand where it's worth putting your money.  An old peddinghaus in unused condition just happened to pop up around here, so I was curious how people felt about that.
  I suppose it's the mass-vs-quality question.  Would you rather have a fine 100 lb anvil, decent 200 lb, or a gigantic block of 4140? 
  This time around I have to keep it under 1000 bucks, and preferably a bit under that. 
  $160 for a 175 lb anvil is awesome, though.